Friday, June 22, 2012

Ice Cream Cupcakes





I scream you scream, we all scream for ice cream. That's kind of been the theme around here lately. The kiddos don't go a day with out asking for a little ice cream or popsicles to cool them off. So I've been buying popsicles by the armful...and recently ventured into the ice cream section. Where I came across this.....


Seriously...birthday cake ice cream?! Appearantly I've been under a rock. I had no idea they made such a thing, but I knew it must come home with me. And in case your wondering...it really does taste like birthday cake. It's like licking a cold beater of cake batter :).

I wanted to make the kids a little something cold they could enjoy outside, without sending out my bowls or spoons that always get hidden in the back yard. I ended up with ice cream cupcakes! I layered about half a cupcake, ice cream, topped with whipping cream and then of course tons of sprinkles. Just in case I lost you let me break it down Barney style:


Whipped topping - on top of bithday cake ice - cream on top of white cake...got it? ;) Together making the perfect birthday treat for party planning mommas! Just the right amount to serve the kiddos...it seems that every party we throw away plates filled with melted icing and left over cake. What I really love about them is you can just pull them out of the freezer and serve...no cake cutting or ice cream scooping required. (I really dislike scooping ice cream with all the kids standing around waiting)

Ready to make some?!

Here's what you will need:

1 box white or confetti cake mix (plus ingredients listed on box)
1 pint Blue Bunny Birthday Cake ice cream
Sprinkles
1 can whipped topping
or
1 pint heavy whipping cream + 1/4 cup sugar

Makes 36 cupcakes.

Step 1: Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Step 2: Mix cake as directed on box. (if using a white you can now mix in sprinkles if you'd like)
Step 3: Spoon 1 1/2 TBS of batter into each cupcake wrapper. (I added sprinkles on now since I was spilting my cake batter)


Step 4: Bake at 8-10. Let cool in cupcake pan. While cooling get out ice cream to soften a bit.


Step 5: Once cooled spoon about 2 TBS of ice cream into the cupcake wrapper. Smooth with small spatula.
Step 6: Place in freezer until frozen. (mine took several hours)


Step 7: Once frozen top with whipped cream and then place back in freezer until ready to serve.

**To make your own whipped cream beat 1 pint of heavy whipping cream in cold bowl until fluffy, then beat in 1/4 cup of powdered sugar**


I love how these can be made ahead of time and served so easily. I made these in a birthday theme but of course there's nothing stopping you from making just about any flavor combo out there. Just a little heads up, they do melt quickly so do not remove from freezer until ready to serve.

Happy Baking!